Pages

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Kalamari

I'm a huge fan of the Young House Love blog. If you haven't checked it out, you definitely should!

They blogged today about their Memorial Weekend adventures and took a few shots of the treasures they found. Sherry took a picture of a print sporting an octopus and an ad that says, "On Special Today KALAMARI of Colossal Dimensions." And I just fell in love with the style and the text.

But with a price tag of $200, that's WAYYYYY out of my price range (provided I could even find something similar!).

So I decided to try to recreate it. And had a ton of fun doing it. My version is not a total copy of the pic Sherry snapped, but that's the whole point, right? If you're inspired by something, you're supposed to put your spin on it and make it your own.



{Click graphic for SUPER large version}

The octopus and ship graphic I grabbed from The Graphics Fairy. I highly recommend that site! So many cool vintage graphics over there and it's all free. Everything else was of my creation. I threw in a layer of smudgy paint to give it that aged look in the corners. The "sunburst" you see in the background (very light) I drew in using the line tool.

I hope you like it! Feel free to print or save for your own personal use!
 
 

2 comments:

  1. I found your blog while doing a Google search for the print because I fell in love with it (calamari is all I wanted to eat when I was pregnant with my first last year)! I found it here: http://www.obxtradingroup.com/index.php?p=product&id=6091&parent=201 for $199! What?!

    So thank you, thank you, thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! So glad you found my blog. :) I hope you can find a special place for the "Kalamari" graphic. I had fun making it!

    ReplyDelete